Author Topic: The Nugget  (Read 496 times)

Offline GP

• Committee
  • Cone Crusher
The Nugget
« on: March 18, 2018, 06:31:18 PM »
Another car with a club member history..
This was Sammi's car till age and mechanical ills got the better of it so we were all offered to pick over it before it was taken to the wreckers or the crusher not sure which ???.
So parts off this car was pretty well spread out amongst various people, myself included.
Then the WORD was said "just want it gone"
I didn't want this cut up so offered to take it away. Just had to wait till a few injuries settled down so the thing sat in the horse paddock all summer till I could get to it.
So.. this is how it looked - and this was Mrs GP's first look too she was a bit :shocked: and  ??? but mentioned it's a "convertible"  :-*just not the brand she was expecting. (she saw straight through that line) :o

it's all cosmetic I said, (Mrs GP bought that one <ii>) so I set up a front suspension and rear axle, wheels to make it a roller, a bit of sheetmetal for the trip to my place, looking a lot better, that's one fine looking trailer!

by this time the weekend was about over so this was the only work done - kill everything inside that car

Now we are in this weekend

The horse paddock rats were using the poor vit as a party house  smell was very ripe :P

first order of business, totally gut the inside and bin the carpet

found some treasure - actual gold!

I call this a OOPS moment. Somebody got a fright when the front uni let go

Then the main mission for the weekend - install some LWB brakes, vented on the front - big drums on the back. also using the LWB handbrake cables, they fit sort of, no problems with them tightening up from flex anyway

And that's it so far, it rolls, has a braking system, smells better, and I just popped the bumper, lights and grille on while it sits waiting for the next session after Easter.

Next mission is get it running again and see if I can plug the crack/corrosion in the engine block

Offline GP

• Committee
  • Cone Crusher
Re: The Nugget
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 10:54:08 PM »
Well, Knuckles' body is gone but I kept it's soul and those mechanical parts along with doors wiring etc, that's all sitting in the Treasure Shed for now.
So Anzac day... was supposed to be a bit of work in the morning and visiting in the afternoon, those plans changed - too late to wheel Grandchester (preferred option for sure) so I made it a day in the garage.
The aim was to get the car running so, plugs out and a spare (but not very good) starter bolted in, disconnected the fuel line, turned the motor over to be sure that there's no water in the bores, all good there, so plugs back in, a bit more of the old stale fuel from Knuckle's tank down the carby throat and the old G13A chugged into life :shocked: :peaceout:
Before I could do anything else the fuel tank had to be dealt with, so out it came and this is the aftermath from sitting in that paddock

I swapped this oversized metal fuel filter in - $12 from SuperCheap, Part No SCF200, has 5/16" pipes -bargain <ii>

Cleaned out the tank with some kero and then another sloosh of that old fuel and the tank's back in.
While it was out managed to punch out the worst of the dents and yep it's a runner. Carby is flooding badly but that's easy to fix later

Next step, get the brake hydraulics working again

« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 10:59:40 PM by GP »

Offline GP

• Committee
  • Cone Crusher
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 07:06:03 PM »
Weekend Shennanigans.. the story lately is 3 steps forward 2 steps back (this is over last couple of weeks, I did actually look after the ladies last Sunday.. for a few hours at least...)
Thought I'd do a job on the brakes of all the cars, Scruff had run out of adjustment on it's rear brakes for a while so plan was to sort out the best shoes and wheel cylinders out of what I have for Scruff, 2nd best for the Nugget and the worst gets set aside.
So did that, honed all the wheel cylinders & sorted out the best of them and thickest shoes between the 2 cars, flush of the brake fluid in Scruff and he's out the door. <ii> happy days

Back on the Nugget, it all bled up well but noticed that the pedal was not holding. So no worries I thought, it would be the master cylinder just has rubbish in it after all those months being empty in the weather. I had a reconditioned LWB Master cylinder on the bench but to fit that meant change the booster to suit the LWB Master cylinder.
So out with the battery, under the dash and out with the SWB booster and master cylinder, swapped all the front brake lines to suit the different LWB master cylinder, went to put the LWB booster into the firewall...... didn't fit. ??? :P :tmsdwn:
Rookie Mistake - should have measured the damn thing, didn't think for a second that the firewall of a SWB was different but there you go.
Fortunately I was able to clean and re-assemble the SWB master cyl with original seals, reinstate the original booster and lines and we're back on track.
At least seeing the new clean fluid in there is nice. cheers

Did I say Back on track? Started the new bleed at the rear end (as you do) and as we were able to build pedal pressure Mrs GP starts saying the pedal is not solid then I saw it... Left front brake hose had a small hole, making a nice jet of fluid into the wheel well and a puddle on the ground. Robbed a line from John Doe, swapped it out and after all that rigmarole back in business. Note to self, follow the correct process and the job goes better! Gave the drums a good coat of paint to celebrate the milestone :peaceout:

Next job sort out that roaring exhaust. I had doused the bolts a couple of weeks ago with WD40 so not surprisingly everything came apart without much drama. Removed the odd broken stud, I don't have any spare studs at the moment (I know..should generally always use studs in Alloy heads) so had some bolts that have a good length of thread, re-tapped the threads and refitted with these neat lock washers I got from Bunnings of all places.
Of course no one local had a flange gasket (which was seriously blown) but did some rummaging around and a Hyundai/Mitsubishi gasket has the same pipe spacings, just different stud spacing so a few whacks with the hole punch and some exhaust sealant it's back together, almost purring.

While I was down there, because I had to half undo the engine mount to get the manifold off, though I'd check out the engine mount.. yep, broken from all that G13A power. And no spares. So for the moment I've drilled through the entire thing and that will tie it together. the inner part has bigger holes that I hoped would clear the bolt but it's touching after settling down with the weight of the engine and that makes the thing vibrate like a racecar actually like an old tractor.  Very Bodgy but the bolt will do for the moment... not really worried, I have an idea for a better solution to these things breaking that I'll look at down the track.

Pretty happy but there's still plenty to get through that job list before August rolls around but I don't think there'll be many surprises now. Interior and electrics are next

« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 08:38:36 PM by GP »

Offline GP

• Committee
  • Cone Crusher
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2018, 08:33:21 PM »
Well it's been a while since the last update here's what happened

Interior: we have an interior that works and smells reasonable. I adapted the front seats from Scruff to fit the SWB and the seats that were in Knuckles are now in Scruff because after they were cleaned, they were actually pretty good!. LWB seats are not an exact fit, the inside rails are OK but the outside rails need adapting, not a big job anyway.
The Sound system is out as is the dodgy car alarm and have deleted carpets and console, modded the gearstick boot to fit the floor mount, and kept the heater system working

Engine bay: mostly all there, again adapting some LWB parts to suit an SWB like the power steering reservoir is right where the SWB coolant tank wants to be so have riveted the LWB cooling setup in place and will make a mounting tab got the Power steering reservoir rather than cut stuff up at this stage

Speaking of Power steering: this is the unit off Knuckles and for some reason, while the water pump/alternator drive lined up, the power steering pulleys didn't. Rather than go into the whys and wherefores, we just got a 3 rib belt instead of a 4 rib and lined it up like this. Thanks George for the inspiration! only cost $6 for that belt

Cooling system: even though the engine leaks oil like a sieve and the block is cracked etc etc I do want it to last a few hours at least so hooking up this aircon fan to assist with low speed cooling. To be honest turning on the heater helps more but it's a bit uncomfortable like that, this is easier

Next this was to lift the suspension, so just used LWB springs with spacers front and rear, but had to do a bit more extra work on the rear end. I had some long shocks set aside from Knuckles but they were just waaay too long for this application so hunted around and they say on other sites that VT Sedan shocks are the go but....that bottom mount is for and independent suspension on a Commodore and way too stiff for a solid axle car.

So to allow the axle to flex more without affecting the shock shaft and making it bind up, just made some cuts to narrow the width of the mount. Now it can move around without affecting the action of the shaft

Then we narrow down the width of the crush tube, and drop an insert into the hole to sleeve the ID down to match the Suzuki bolt, had a bit of mission brown paint lying around....

And it's in the car. you can see that I offset the crush tube slightly to help clearance when flexing about and also left the top part remain wide. Not perfect but better than leaving it alone and after all these shocks only cost $60 each. doesn't matter

And that's about where we are, certainly looking good with the lift and on borrowed wheels even if it might not go too good :armsup: Gearbox and transfer were totally empty :shocked: so topped them up with old diff oil and yep, they are still leaking from somwhere

« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 08:43:51 PM by GP »

Offline Greenbank GV

• Club Member
  • Rock Crawler
  • Treasurer
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2018, 04:08:37 PM »
Nice work mate! I would have given up on the little thing - well we did park it in a paddock and leave it to die  rofl :'(
Looking forward to seeing it in action...
1999 SWB Grand Vitara 1.6L
1988 and a half SWB SJ50 soft top - project
'03 Range Rover HSE

Offline GP

• Committee
  • Cone Crusher
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2018, 08:17:24 PM »
Some pics from last week

Made a little roof from the remains of Knuckles, it just clips on

Drove it up the ramps to see what the flex was like, couldnt quite get the car over both ramps all the way, the rear one kept slipping about on the concrete, probably a bit more in it but not bad for what it is, basically standard LWB springs with spacers. and painted those front guards, also from Knuckles

« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 08:22:18 PM by GP »