1996 Suzuki V6 H20A Vitara using more fuel

Started by phillipsart, December 04, 2017, 02:24:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phillipsart

Hi,  I own a 1996 Suzuiki Vitara with the V6 H20A engine and it's been using a lot more fuel of late.
I've ordered a new Oxygen sensor,  but I don't know where it goes.  I looked all over my engine and I can't see where they are.  Also is there two oxygen sensors on this particular motor?

phillipsart

December 04, 2017, 02:50:29 PM #1 Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 02:56:26 PM by phillipsart
I used to get around 9 litres per 100 km on the highway and around 10 litres per 100km city driving.  That was with standard tires,  I've since increased the size of the tires,  to Bridgestone Dueler A/T 697 in 235/70/16.    How much fuel increase would I expect going from Standard tires to the Bridgestone?

My vitara is now  using apx 3 litres per 100km extra fuel over those figures,   I should add,  I've never replaced the oxygen sensors before.  I don't know if they ever had been replaced.   I've owned the Vitara now for over 10 years.  I've completed apx 120,000 kms,  Vitara had 155,000 on the clock when I purchased it.   

While doing some research recently on why my fuel economy has increased,  I learnt about the oxygen sensor.   My mechanic,  has never suggested to replace the oxygen sensor or ever told me about them. 

I ordered one oxygen sensor last week and it's arrived today,   Is it true I will need two?     I still can't find where they are on the motor.   Also looking at the exhaust at the rear of my Vitara  and it's black,  like you get when your car is running very rich.

Tanshi

yes they have two,  the screw into the exhaust headers near the firewall.

if your not getting chec engine lights its not a dead o2 sensor.

id be getting your cat convertor check for collapse or blockages.
Hunting for bigger tyres so I can get over myself.

phillipsart

December 04, 2017, 02:59:36 PM #3 Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 03:01:27 PM by phillipsart
It does run a little rough at times at idle.  Sometimes it will conk out because the idle drops so low for no reason.

I get no engine check lights.  All clear there.    Being that I have never replaced the oxygen sensors and I've owned the Vitara now for over 10 years,  I don't know if they have every been replaced before I purchased the vehicle.  It might pay to be on the safe side and replace them.

phillipsart

Cat convertor?   That's the part that attaches on the muffler near the engine?

That's another item including the exhaust pipe that's never been checked,  The muffler is still the same muffler that was on the vehicle when I purchased it over 10 years ago.

I'm going to be at the Gold Coast over Christmas,  it might pay I book the car into the Suzuki mechanic near Nerang and get him to check the cat convertor for me.

Tanshi

catalitic convertor is the small "muffler" shaped thing between the actual muffler and the engine,  they get blocked up with carbon over time and can break up and collapse internally blocking the exhaust up

phillipsart

Quote from: Tanshi on December 04, 2017, 03:20:35 PM
catalitic convertor is the small "muffler" shaped thing between the actual muffler and the engine,  they get blocked up with carbon over time and can break up and collapse internally blocking the exhaust up

Are they expensive to replace?    Do all muffler repairers deal with them?

Tanshi

should be able to get a hiflow one for about $100.  might be another 100 to fit one.

yeah any exhaust shop will do them

Suzimad

Oxygen sensors can cause excess fuel consumption without throwing a check engine light. The oxygen sensor will fluctuate between certain voltage levels and providing it is within those voltages it will not trigger the check engine light, but still can be an incorrect reading.Oxygen sensors are a consumable part and should be replaced at least every 140000 kms or sooner.

The other major components that can and will fail and cause the excess fuel consumption are air flow meter and coolant temp sensor.

all of these sensors cause a dramatic fuel trim for the ecu.
he "check engine" light came on , I opened the bonnet and the engine was still there.....