December 01, 2021, 12:29:15 PM

Exo Cage Chat.

Started by greenzook89, November 06, 2017, 09:44:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greenzook89

Thinking of a small exo for Redna. Dont want to much weight. What size/thickness tube should I be looking at? Better yet, anyone want to swap exo fab for painty stuffs?

James R

Watching with great interest... I'm planning a little cage for the project. Looking at 1.5" CDS tube.
Plan is to frame up the A and B pillars, crossing over the cab,  bolting into the door hinges and shs sills (this would make it "removable" like the good roof rack it is). I still haven't decided on a brace to the rear of the tub or not. I'd like not to, but not sure if it will be strong enough without.
Jellybean - 1999 SWB Grand Vitara 1.6L
The Project - 1988 and a half SWB SJ50 soft top
The Highlander - 1987 lwb canopy

Tanshi

happy to help you fab stuff mate.

Something like dads half exo?
Hunting for bigger tyres so I can get over myself.

just cruizin

The play off with exos is the ability to still have the soft top over the rear or not. Josh if your just going to run the safari back with no sides it's pretty easy but being able to weather seal the vehicle is nice.

Other points the think about are:
- windscreen bar. Can you fold the windscreen forward and the bonnet back.
- A pillars again do you want the windscreen to fold. Important to access wiper motor, wiper links etc
- B pillar bracing and rear passenger access.
- Rear passenger protection if required.  For me NFI this was never a concern but my LWB that is the whole reason for having the vehicle.
- What panels do you want to protect.

1 1/2" tube is easy to get as is 1". I think 1 1/4 would be a great size. About 32mm od.  Get seamless it's easier to bend, CDS.
Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

just cruizin

Former availability for 1 1/4 could be more difficult. The bender I'm using has them available but the owner doesn't have one. Not sure if the one Darren used has one with it
Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

greenzook89

I had in my head something like Keiths, but that means I'm limited to a safari/bimini roof. I'm not so fussed on rear seat passengers, more so front seat occupants.

Have seen a few that have been plated at the cowl panel, but I'd imagine it would twist the cab if it landed on it roof.

Tanshi

alot depends i guess on whether you want/need diagonal bracing in the b pillar.  its pretty hard to do that and keep a full roof as an option.
Hunting for bigger tyres so I can get over myself.

just cruizin

What is the main driver, occupant protection or as something to rub against.
Keith's appears to be primarly driver protection and rub rail second.  The strength in his guards provides a fair bit of panel protection.

If you want to brace the B pillar you come off the upright a bit lower down then have a soft top with a zip up side with a designed hole for the bracing tube. The B pillar will have to be outside though. You could then run a rear support off the cross brace internally however this wouldn't be as strong as off the B pillar direct

just cruizin

Quick dodgy scketch

just cruizin

Just thinking this would work for what James wants as well.  Would work with safari style and full 'custom' soft top. I like soft tops with full roll up sides so I think it's great :)