What Snatch ratio do you use for such lightweight vehicles?

Started by MarkD, September 01, 2017, 06:49:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkD

The rule of thumb is that a snatch strap should be rated at 2-3 times the GVM of the lightest vehicle. I see that the Jimny has a GVM of just 1400kg and I suspect that most of the dedicated 4x4 Zooks you folk drive have a similar (or even lower) GVM. Even my GV has a GVM of just 2100kg.

That tells me that you should be using a snatch strap rated at no more than 1400*3 = 4,200kg but the lowest rated strap I've seen is 6,000kg which is well over 4 times the GVM. The most common strap around seems to be 8,000kg which is 5-6 times GVM!

So what do you use? Are there lower rated straps that I don't know about or do you just run with a 6K or 8K strap and wear the risk of a strap that presumably could wrench out your anchor-points or worse?

Frankly I think that the maximum strap rating is somewhat academic because a good snatch should be done gently so the amount of momentum isn't destructive -- but I'm working with the 2-3 recommendation for now.

mrw82

A 6000kg strap will work fine.  'Most' recoveries done amongst the club are low force, more of a tow than a snatch. If a snatch is required it would be done with minimal force building gradually with each attempt until we find the right amount.

It is very rare that we have the need to do a full force snatch and it is a last resort option when we do.  And we would recommend using a winch damper whenever possible.
PRADO  a toyota it is, a suzuki it aint.

SNOTBOX   ready for play

TEAM NFI = If you can't make it, break it.

MarkD

Quote from: mrw82 on September 01, 2017, 07:40:28 PM
'Most' recoveries done amongst the club are low force, more of a tow than a snatch.

Yeah. I guess the literature has to assume a recovery by 200lb gorillas piloting their bro-trucks at full throttle (if you'll excuse the AVE reference).

A minimal force recovery always seems more skilful to me... which makes the breaking point of the snatch mostly irrelevant.

Couchman

Got this one from bcf I think.

just cruizin

It's actually law to use a dampener on a snatch strap.

Generally if we can't get out with an easy tow we break out the winch, much more controlled
Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

greenzook89

Since I fitted a winch I dont think I've used a snatch strap.
However I have a 6k strap in the back just in case.

zuk94

I recovered this guy out at Glasshouse years ago  . He had a 8000kg strap he offered but I used my 6000kg strap as we both had zooks .
Afterwards his comments were he couldn't believe how smooth the recovery went compared to previous recoveries using his 8000kg strap.
When I explained to him why he said he'll be buying the smaller strap for future use.

MarkD

Quote from: zuk94 on September 02, 2017, 10:17:51 AM
he said he'll be buying the smaller strap for future use.

After much searching I found *just* the thing for you folk with lightweight Zooks. Aldi has this kit on special at the mo, so LMK if you want me to pick up a one for you.

MarkD

Ok. Not very funny.

In all seriousness, I did come across a 4,500kg snatch selling in Aldi today for $39.99.

mrw82

thats a winch extension strap not a snatch strap.  It will not have any elasticity.
PRADO  a toyota it is, a suzuki it aint.

SNOTBOX   ready for play

TEAM NFI = If you can't make it, break it.

MarkD

Quote from: mrw82 on September 03, 2017, 02:02:51 PM
thats a winch extension strap not a snatch strap.  It will not have any elasticity.

Oh oops. You are dead right!

Shanae