Best tyre size after 40mm lift on GV?

Started by MarkD, August 24, 2017, 05:31:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkD

I'm in the process of doing a BL on my (new to me) GV to prep for a tyre upgrade.

I know most of the so-called-lift will mostly just restore the vehicle to its original height as well as offer better support for increased weights, but I also expect a little better tyre clearance that will let me get some extra height from new tyres.

But I need help working out what tyres sizes I can consider.

I'm currently running with the standard 225/70R16 and I'm thinking that 225/75R16 is at least what I should be able to fit without rubbing after the lift. What do people think. Can I go taller than that? Any size recommendations?

I prefer to keep the same rims and tyre width as I don't want to go crazy messing with rim offsets and/or spacers unless it's easy and painless.

Any advice appreciated.

Bruce

I hope your getting your body lift from Just_ Cruizin on this forum  ;)
Bruce.
Team Casper proudly sponsored by
Coliso and Me

just cruizin

Just note that a body lift has no impact on the suspension, it won't do anything for the load carrying ability. It will appear to return the vehicle to 'factory' height but not in the way a suspension kit will.

A body lift's primarily purpose is exactly tyre clearance, first and foremost.  Coupled with a good suspension kit the GV works well. I think I had 235/75R16 on mine as they were commonly available and cheaper.

Gv's for my are undergeared and low range is not low enough, first gen GV have reduction gears available however the facelift version '04 on don't which is painful well coupled with taller tyres.  I found the 2.5V6 to be under powered as well
Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

greenzook89

What year GV did you end up getting Mark?

MarkD

August 25, 2017, 11:38:12 AM #4 Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 02:53:29 PM by MarkD
Quote from: just cruizin on August 24, 2017, 07:11:18 PM
Just note that a body lift has no impact on the suspension, it won't do anything for the load carrying ability. It will appear to return the vehicle to 'factory' height but not in the way a suspension kit will.

Oh, I meant to say that it's with a suspension upgrade (Ironman). Not just spacers.

It's a good point about loss of effective low-range power with greater diameter tyres. Hmmm. Now you have me thinking.

MarkD

MarkD

August 25, 2017, 11:43:56 AM #6 Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 01:09:31 PM by MarkD
Quote from: just cruizin on August 24, 2017, 07:11:18 PM
235/75R16 on mine as they were commonly available and cheaper.

Interesting. I use https://tiresize.com/comparison/ to give me a visual of what the difference looks like. It shows about a 0.7" lift from the increased tyre size.

As for 235/75R16, there doesn't appear to be as much choice as with 225/75R16 unless my search-foo is failing.

just cruizin

Just a point of note With the NGV a body lift is not possible due to the monocoque construction.
Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

MarkD

Quote from: just cruizin on August 25, 2017, 10:44:07 PM
Just a point of note With the NGV

NGV=?

I'm gunna guess "New GV" but what year does that mean?

greenzook89

Yeah anything from 05 to current is New Grand Vitara.

MarkD

Quote from: just cruizin on August 25, 2017, 10:44:07 PM
Just a point of note With the NGV a body lift is not possible due to the monocoque construction.

I think I may have been loose with my terminology to start with. What I'm getting is a suspension upgrade. New springs and shocks. I'm guessing that "just cruizin" is using a strict definition of BL that involves lifting the body off a chassis. And, obviously a monocoque has no chassis to start with.

Sorry for the confusion.

just cruizin

All good, note wasn't for yourself, mainly for other that be following along at home