Author Topic: winch options and experiences  (Read 4631 times)

Offline Nissvit

• Club Member
  • Rock Crawler
winch options and experiences
« on: August 05, 2016, 10:10:19 PM »
OK,

I'm interested who has used any of the newer brand winches.. I have a old low-mount warn on one of the middies which needs some TLC, and by the time I put a new solenoid pack on it and get some fibre rope for it, I'm half way to one of the runva, sherpa or carbon winches which are now available.. and I'm still left with a old winch frame and motor that has done 10 years of work.

So has anyone had any real experience with the newer brands runva, sherpa carbon, or the dominator/grande's?

The dominator/ grande 12000lb is cheap, they get ok reviews, but the current draw is huge (480 amps full load)
The runva seems to have good history, and again gets good reviews, but the 11xp has even higher full load current ( 540 amp)
the carbon 12000 seems to have very few reviews, and they have slower line speed than the others but heaps lower current draw (390 amps)
The sherpa looks well built but it seems to be $300 more for the same load as the runva or carbon winches

Line speed doesn't worry me, I think I'd prefer to have a lower line speed with higher pull force, than higher line speed with high current draw.

can anyone provide any thoughts or what your experience has been with any of these brands, or is there another brand or supplier that I should be looking at?

thanks,
Chris.

Offline RobM

• Mid-week Explorer
  • Old Timer
  • Brisbane Northside
    • WikiLoc.com - My Trips
Re: winch options and experiences
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2016, 06:54:06 AM »
Chris,
No "real-time" experience with any of those but have some friends that have the Runva winches and they seem happy with them. I been on a hew trips with them when they have used them and had problems. I've been interested in the Runva or dominator one but not sure which way I'll eventually go.... The missus Prado only has a cheap eBay 13,000pound winch on it but it too has a slow pull and a lower current draw but I'll never had to use it in anger.....
The Challenge.... To See as much of SEQ as I can on my Days Off....... To see my Exploring Trips, click on the following LINKS below:

My WikiLoc TRIPS: https://www.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/user.do?id=2717164
or
AllTrails: https://www.alltrails.com/members/robmacca/recordings

Offline just cruizin

• Club Member
  • Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2016, 08:05:00 AM »
How do they compare to the warn you currently have? Guess it's a pay off between older quantity and new tech low budget disposable products.  For something that's not used often it's better to have something you know will work when you really need it rather then 30kg of ballast.

Whilst the Runva have been around from a while the Carbon has been design by the guys at KPD who dealt with Runva for years and know their downfalls.

Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

Offline zuk94

• Committee
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2016, 09:02:08 AM »
Hi Chris , I to over the years have entertained changing  the solenoid pack on my XD9000 and possibly upgrading the motor on it to the 6.5kw. Then its up close to a Runva which I've only read good comments about . Below is a link from the LCOOL site which offers interesting reading regarding warranty for water ingress .

http://4x4earth.com/forum/index.php?threads/winch-warrantys-who-to-support-and-when-to-walk-warn-smittybilt-runva-ironman-tmax-etc.25959/

Offline sp1086

• Vitara Owner
  • Global Moderator
  • Old Timer
  • Web Admin
    • http://www.buddharadio.com.au/
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2016, 04:16:09 PM »
I'd stay with Warn. At least all parts are still available and easy to get.

I'm in the middle of rebuilding a XD9000 I scored off eBay for $300. Just needs a new drum break which is available genuine for $250ish. Yes I could have got a new Runva or a Dominator etc but I'd much rather the Warn. Just proven performance and quality.

Big thing to look at is gear ratios too. Allot of these cheaper winches are high ratios which makes them slow.

Anyway I'll take some pics of my rebuild for future reference.
Thanks again,

Chris SP

Offline Couchman

• Club Member
  • Cone Crusher
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2016, 08:47:06 AM »
Never had any issues with with the runva 9500 on the vit.
Dragged all sorts of vehicles out, but we always dig out as much as possible to not load the winch.
Don't think it has ever been completely underwater, and the switch gear is separately mounted high in the engine bay.
The rope sits half way out in the weather, so am waiting to see how long it lasts.
People say they are slow, but I haven't seen much difference compared to other peoples winches in use. (non comp style)
Gets used every couple of months, so I don't know if that helps keep it running well, cause it's never been over hauled.
The only up keep it gets is the rope spooled back on nicely, as there is 30 odd meters it gets a bit caught up if it all sits on one side.

It's always a toss up buying again, if you have time to strip it down and have a look at it may be worth rebuilding.
If you don't have the time, just grab a new one and bolt it in.

Offline Tanshi

• Club Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2016, 09:13:07 AM »
I love my runva and Dan from KPD has always looked after me extremely well on part for them and also going as far as building me a custom one to suit my needs.

That said his carbon branded winches are stupidly good and they will be bringing out cool accessories for them soon.

give Dan a call for a chat at KPD4x4 and tell him Darren recommended him to you.
Hunting for bigger tyres so I can get over myself.

Offline James R

• Club Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2016, 01:50:03 PM »
Tanshi put me on to Dan as well. I've used the Runva in Jellybean a fair bit and it's never been a problem. It's an 11XP so probably overkill in a little gv.
Jellybean - 1999 SWB Grand Vitara 1.6L
The Project - 1988 and a half SWB SJ50 soft top
The Highlander - 1987 lwb canopy

Offline Nissvit

• Club Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2016, 09:44:42 PM »
I love my runva and Dan from KPD has always looked after me extremely well on part for them and also going as far as building me a custom one to suit my needs.

That said his carbon branded winches are stupidly good and they will be bringing out cool accessories for them soon.

give Dan a call for a chat at KPD4x4 and tell him Darren recommended him to you.

Hey Tanshi, what is the best way to contact Dan, do you have a direct contact number, or should I call on the 1300 number on their website.

thanks,
Chris

Offline Tanshi

• Club Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2016, 10:34:07 AM »
that 1300 number will either get Dan or his business partner.

I have his mobile number but im not sure he would want me giving it out.

Offline Tanshi

• Club Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2016, 10:34:34 AM »
you can PM Dank on AZ to get him direct I guess

Offline zuk94

• Committee
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2016, 10:39:36 AM »
Looking at those I'd go with Sherpa for the Cruiser but Carbon for the zook . Have you asked KPD about what brand solenoid they are using as the sherpa's use the Albrights now.
For now I'll just get a new solenoid for mine and upgrade the isolation switch and see how that goes .

Offline zuk94

• Committee
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2016, 12:05:31 PM »

Big thing to look at is gear ratios too. Allot of these cheaper winches are high ratios which makes them slow.

Chris looking at the ratios you would think that but when comparing line speeds it's not necessary the case . The biggest problem I have is the high current draw for the Warns with the gear ratio at 156:1.
Avenger by KPD looked good in the specs as well but I haven't read any recent reviews of late.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 12:07:53 PM by zuk94 »

Offline Nissvit

• Club Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2017, 10:24:42 PM »
sooo...

like most things post kids, things now take much longer to do :shocked: :shocked:..
but last weekend I picked up a warn highmount in pieces for $50.  :armsup: :armsup: :armsup:

I now have checked all the bits that came in the box and they are there, it just needs the normal servicing of lower bushes and brake stuff done.
the solenoids look stuffed, so I'm getting a runva 600 solenoid that seems to get good reviews, it has a little 2.5 hp motor on it, so I'll have a look at motor options soon.

Offline zuk94

• Committee
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2017, 05:13:17 PM »
Now you have to decide which car to put it on .

Offline Nissvit

• Club Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2017, 10:00:59 PM »
probably the white middie... when I get around to it... rofl

Offline zuk94

• Committee
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2019, 08:40:48 AM »
Just checking that winch is not still in the box Chris.