Author Topic: SWB GV  (Read 1215 times)

Offline Zig

SWB GV
« on: October 19, 2017, 02:08:47 PM »
Hey guys I am a local to the sunshine coast.
after buying my GF a new car i sold my patrol and took over her GV. 
we bought it with the front bar, winch and lift in it for a good price but it needed a heap of work for roadworthy.

Eventually want to get a trailer for it but have so far put an awning on and put lights and plugs through out.

In the future it will get regeared, with a front locker and stub shaft and slightly more lift with some new shocks.
As of now i have put some free wheeling hubs on (cleaned and new gaskets), some 225/75r16 Bridgestone m/t didn't want muddies but they were cheeeeap. and some camber bolts.

pulled the front hubs and diff gears out of a donor vit which was a crap job

I am heading to Vietnam for a while but i'm keen to get some wheeling in when i get back

Offline mrw82

• Committee
  • Old Timer
  • Mr President
Re: SWB GV
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 03:45:20 PM »
Another jellybean. Looks pretty tidy too. Be great to have you or on a trip sometime zigzag.
PRADO  a toyota it is, a suzuki it aint.

SNOTBOX   ready for play

TEAM NFI = If you can't make it, break it.

Offline Zig

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2018, 10:52:21 AM »
So I bought a set of xl7 rims so I could got the larger xl7 brakes.

Also lined up a steel front diff so I just need an air locker for the front then the 5.12s can go in.

Offline Zig

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2018, 03:23:44 PM »
Update. i've gone the Auto locker route. I've sourced the steel front diff, vitara centre, 26 spline sierra side gears and a Spartan locker. I'm waiting for tax money to get the diff rebuild kit from lror. Could I get a confirmation that my standard short side cv will work with the locker. Heard it may be to long???? Also anyone on the sunshine coast or Brisbane region I could talk to if my diff build goes pear shaped im setting back lash and checking wear pattern at home.

Offline Zig

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2019, 04:28:54 PM »
Lots of updates 5.12s in a steel housing with autolocker using the 2 pin vitara carrier. added the support bush but will machine up a carrier and add a bearing.

grub screw to hold the pin in. measure twice before purchasing

sealing vacuum line hole.'

and then I decided to put hilux cvs in.

I picked up a set of control arms and the hilux kit 2nd hand for a good price.
i firstly needed a diff bracket to clear the adapters

I then needed to adapt the hilux snout into the spindle, the GV uses a needle bearing where as the vitara uses a bush, so i needed to machine a bush for the GV.

I made it a heavy press fit then machined to final i.d. on the lathe.

had to clearance the knuckle for the larger bell of the hilux ideally i would have done this the assembly out but couldnt afford to have the car off the road for a few days.

drivers side was a great fit with the fourx4 art arms. passenger side required spacing, roughly 50mm. I used an old cv and welded a flange on. God damn the steel was hard to machine dulled my carbide tooling.

My OME shock had gone so it was time for a refresh, wanted to go bilstein however price was the main factor for not going that way cheapest I could find was $550 delivered. so a set of dobinsons were sourced at $290 a pair. dobinsons next to ome and kyb.

Reviewing the build it appears that the diff could be moved over more to the passenger side with custom mounts, with the possibility of running stock arms with hilux cvs. haven't done any wheeling on the setup but locker working and nothing has exploded yet.
I'm not running a sway bar in the front so next project will be adding limiting straps to the front and bump stop extensions.