Author Topic: Knuckles and John Doe - Knuckles loses it's body  (Read 3052 times)

Offline GP

• Committee
  • Cone Crusher
Knuckles and John Doe - Knuckles loses it's body
« on: January 12, 2017, 10:13:59 PM »
It all started at the last Bodgie Run..... that was August 2016 I was after a project to use for parts and a bit of fun on the side.
So Clive of Suzi Sport had a body shell that he needed gone or it was going to get cut up. Cut up? what! I had to save it.
This is how it looked at first inspection
missing engine trans, steering some body parts but essentially there and fairly straight, looks to have never seen much off road at all. Had a whole lot of other car's stuff in there but if anything would make a great spare car to slowly build up as the necessary bits became available.

So I rushed around the next weekend, collected it, So thanks to Clive, really appreciated the chance to get this shell
Due to other commitments it sat like this till after Christmas,

which is how it got to be called John Doe,..big "sheet" over the whole body and "not breathing" = John Doe
Mrs GP is so far "OK" with this, the deal is that all that junk (no, treasure) will be out of sight down the side of the house behind the fence... eventually...

Couple of weeks later a post comes up for a rusty Vit that mechanically runs and it was pretty cheap because, well, it was rusted and being sold with no wheels. So we shoved Scruff on some stands and drove down to the Gold Coast to get more "treasure", swapped the wheels and drove home... it ran OK, bit smokey, was a mess inside, something had spilled a long time ago and combination of the spill smell and the old oily fumes up the gearstick boot were getting to me but, anyway got it home and I'm pretty happy because it had a bulbar and a reasonable looking suspension that I was not expecting to see plus other parts that I could really use on the other cars.

I'm putting these cars together in this thread because there will be quite a bit of parts swapping as we go along

Team NFI & Team Casper helped with some old wheels (God bless you guys) and I had cars rolling again

« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 10:34:24 PM by GP »

Offline GP

• Committee
  • Cone Crusher
Re: Knuckles and John Doe - the unlikely couple
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 10:40:39 PM »
First order of business, Knuckles had a pretty good 2 inch exhaust so thought I'd swap that over. Cleaned up the extractors, welded some studs onto the flange to support the air intake and gave them a coat of paint etc,

but that system flowed a bit too well and I was getting a bit of hesitation and popping on the overrun so cut the 2 inch exhaust off at the cat, put the extractors back into Knuckles

and got a sleeve made up at the local exhaust shop to splice it onto the back of Scruff's original extractors and cat, (I'll get it welded later)

and McGyvered Scruff's old peashooter exhaust on Knuckles so it would stay quiet while being moved around the driveway

« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 11:42:37 PM by GP »

Offline GP

• Committee
  • Cone Crusher
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 11:05:02 PM »
We're now into the first week of January. I was swapping some parts from Knuckles to Scruff and the interior smell from Knuckles was killing me after festering in a sealed locked car for half of Summer, something had to be done.

Didn't take long, a few turns of the spanner, a sharp knife to cut the carpet away and a combination of CT18 and Kero sorted things.
After all the patient needs to be prepped and clean before surgery can commence <ii> :peaceout:

I kind of managed to save the back seat because the stitching was in good nick so a big session with detergent and disinfectant and it looks reasonable so that's now in Scruff as well. sorry no pics but the overhead console looks interesting, if it can be restored

Then turned attention to John Doe, pulled all the rubbish out of the back and sorted the bits that go with the car, gave the interior a clean and tidy, and you know what it doesn't look half bad. There's even a Kenwood stereo system in there. Powered up the door windows so they could be closed, filled up the back of the Prado with all the real junk and off to the tip.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 11:36:48 PM by GP »

Offline GP

• Committee
  • Cone Crusher
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2017, 11:26:09 PM »
So here they are, I'm surely the envy of the entire neighbourhood with this lot in the driveway :armsup:

had to put some time into the yard but it's now looking good for the rest of Summer

Still on holidays at this time so finally, I thought I could really do something with that bulbar

15 minutes later... the bottom bit is gone, (I love my power saw cheers ) and a quick touch up with the angle grinder to smooth out the edges..

For now it's sitting on John Doe to help it look more respectable from the street till I can get around to making something to put underneath it so it can roll and get put down the side of the house

« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 11:38:48 PM by GP »

Offline sp1086

• Vitara Owner
  • Global Moderator
  • Old Timer
  • Web Admin
    • http://www.buddharadio.com.au/
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2017, 05:57:27 AM »
Looking good GP...

Almost makes me want to do something with mine..

Almost!
Thanks again,

Chris SP

Offline mrw82

• Committee
  • Old Timer
  • Mr President
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2017, 05:29:33 PM »
Looking good GP...

Almost makes me want to do something with mine..

Almost!

You should put it into tough tracks, zukzilla that is.
PRADO  a toyota it is, a suzuki it aint.

SNOTBOX   ready for play

TEAM NFI = If you can't make it, break it.

Offline GP

• Committee
  • Cone Crusher
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2017, 07:31:04 PM »
Bonus, I found $2.75 in the carpet of the white car. looks like that coin has been there for years lol -h00k-
off to Maccas cheers

Offline GP

• Committee
  • Cone Crusher
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2017, 06:49:41 PM »
Started this little job a couple of weekends ago...
Finally getting around to making John Doe mobile, I had some nice lengths of solid 50x75x4mm angle and made up this thing

100% bolted no welds so it can be disassembled or re-sized for other vehicles - like a bought one!

Used an old trailer axle that I had laying around and an even older pair of LC/LJ Torana rims. Very tempting shot this. I can see an engine/trans/diff/steering bucket seat lol

These little aluminium pads are so that I have hard points for each corner of the chassis to rest on and not crush the jack mounts. just doing a final lining up here.

And John Doe now has wheels. All that's left is to mount some brackets to secure the chassis to the rig and we're in business.
Had to stop at this point because got guests coming over for Lasagne and a few bottles of red cheers

« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 06:52:48 PM by GP »

Offline just cruizin

• Club Member
  • Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2017, 07:56:15 PM »
GP, I want to see if I can measure up a few things for some new products
Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

Offline Scrawny

• Rock Crawler
  • aka Webwheeler
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2017, 08:43:39 PM »
How well as those castors going to roll on the uneven ground? Looks pretty good all the same

Offline GP

• Committee
  • Cone Crusher
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2017, 12:55:24 PM »
I think the castors will be OK for concrete or pavers, but yeah will be hard work on other surfaces, they are rated 140kg each not as solid as I'd like but the garage will be getting sealed one of these days, so steel got ruled out
And yeah Greg you're welcome to come over anytime, if it's night time I'll chuck the Toyotas out of the garage and we'll put a car on stands no problem

Offline Couchman

• Club Member
  • Cone Crusher
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2017, 07:43:19 PM »
I pulled this off the other day, do you want it?

Offline GP

• Committee
  • Cone Crusher
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2017, 09:34:36 PM »
yeah course <ii>

Offline GP

• Committee
  • Cone Crusher
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2017, 06:24:46 PM »
More work progress, so exactly a year after bringing John Doe home time flies  :shocked: , it has moved from behind the hedge to the garage. THis side looks pretty good, however I like dolphins.. but not on the car please! Torana wheels make it look like an old Moke

the garage spell was to do a quick swap of a few body parts and add some tabs to the frame to secure it fore/aft and side to side. For up and down security I'll just use the Ancra tie downs, it all now feels pretty safe when pushing it around, should even handle being transported like this

So here it will sit all cleaned up, fumigated inside to kill those tiny car dwelling black ants and wrapped up till it gets a mechanical heart. could take a while so  p0p ...

Meanwhile.. Knuckles is back in the light ready for some more "parts swapping" and 'test fitting"  ;). Budget is tight but we'll see what can be achieved  :armsup:

« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 06:27:43 PM by GP »

Offline GP

• Committee
  • Cone Crusher
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2018, 07:18:32 PM »
Time to do what needs to be done on Knuckles so early start Saturday - engine and trans out. took my time, people visiting during the day using up my valuable vit time >:(

Sunday a late start but made this mobile engine/trans trolly out of an old table frame, some creeper wheels and bits of wood. I only had 4 welding sticks so it was tack tack weld.. blow a hole, repeat process. there's a bracket to make up for the trans and some more bracing for the engine supports but now I can do major work like this with no risk to the old back. cheers

Offline GP

• Committee
  • Cone Crusher
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2018, 06:47:10 PM »
A bit of progress, before one does a project one must have a quantity of containers to keep all the parts organised. these containers cost $4.99 each from Coles. They just had to be emptied... very enjoyable process

Went for a bit of a drive this morning to Blackbutt get a couple of parts. I also like to stop at the bakery there
used Siri to update progress
"Siri, send text, "Hi mate running a bit late just passing through Narangbar"
Siri says "Hi mate running a bit late jiust passing through Nerang bar"
So I thought holy crap he thinks I'm coming from the Goldie so back to Siri
Siri, send text "Burpengary"
Siri says "Burping Gary" I thought oh well he will figure that out.
I get to Wamuran, Siri says 'When you ran" (not sent)
I get to D'Agular, Siri says" The Acular" (not sent and gave up on Siri after that)

and now everything forward of the firewall is not there apart from the brakes, which have WD40 soaking into the threads for now

I even took the harness clips!

Offline just cruizin

• Club Member
  • Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2018, 08:47:22 PM »
When our kids were babies I kept all the formula tins. Not as enjoyable for me though
Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

Offline greenzook89

• Club Member
  • Training Wheeler
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2018, 03:41:03 PM »
Blackbutt private Zook parts. Handy guy to know haha.

Offline GP

• Committee
  • Cone Crusher
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2018, 11:15:07 AM »
indeed mate, a really nice fella

Offline GP

• Committee
  • Cone Crusher
Re: Knuckles and John Doe - the unlikely couple - RIP Knuckles
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2018, 10:32:40 PM »
So.. it's been a little while since the last post but it doesn't mean I have not been busy.
You see the deal I have in this house is I can have 3 Zooks so one had to go. :'(
AND, the parts can't be scattered all over the place so before I could do anything more to the Nugget I had to deal with Knuckles :-\
But before I could do anyhting about that, I needed to address where to put all my treasure
So, elbows and knees starting to feel stronger, (been having trouble with my joints) I had to make a space for my garden tools and make room in the other shed for all the parts
So a suitable site was chosen and shed erected, tools and gardening stuff transferred,

he old timber shed needed some extra timber to stop it from falling down and make way for the treasure. what a big weekend that was!  cheers

And so the job begins, cutting wheels and power saw in hand Knuckles gets the treatment, another big weekend. quite buggered after that effort but pleased it was done and Scruff is back off the street  <ii>

and it's now in the trailer.
I'm not taking this to the scrap merchants straight away so if anyone wants some cuts for rust repairs or anything just let me know

I'm kind of happy that I didn't put any more time into this car, it was just too rusty, 4 of the 8 body mounts were totally gone, cracks and rust in the frame etc etc
The good news is that I salvaged a ton of parts that are so far going into 4 other Zooks, the majority of which will be used in Nugget to turn that into a runner, So You could say that Knuckles is not being killed off, just a little bit of Frankenstein stuff going on that's all so I'm celebrating this :peaceout:
Stay tuned as for where the other parts are ending up!

Offline Scrawny

• Rock Crawler
  • aka Webwheeler
Re: Knuckles and John Doe - Knuckles loses it's body
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2018, 05:01:43 PM »
Looked like such a clean car when I bought it too, pity it was too far gone

Offline GP

• Committee
  • Cone Crusher
Re: Knuckles and John Doe - Knuckles loses it's body
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2018, 01:02:06 PM »
never mind, like I mentioned there's a fair bit of Frankensteining going on with that car