Vitara G16b O2 Sensors

Started by zuk94, February 16, 2014, 01:58:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zuk94

February 16, 2014, 01:58:24 PM Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 02:12:36 PM by zuk94
I've been wanting to change/replace my O2 Sensor in the Vitara for some time now but got lost in the variety of different brands , prices and types .  So I bought a cheap single wire version for $20 which never got installed.

Mine is a 4 wire type which from advice from others should be replaced with a 4 wire O2 sensor.
I'm just wondering where people have:
bought theirs from    
how much  and
did you notice any difference in performance as well as fuel economy

This is a Quote from Reubs
Quote/Quote from: zuk94 on February 13, 2014, 08:30:41 PM

Fuel economy has been dropping but I haven't any codes as yet .  Did you replace your O2 sensor with a 4 wire or single . Of course where and how much , as I gave up looking  long time ago because the prices where to high.

Peter,

Mine didn't throw any codes before I replaced the o2 sensor but after it's replacement it made a noticeable difference both in the feel of the engine at maybe 2500-3500 RPM and light-moderate throttle and the fuel economy improved maybe 20%. THe vit had started to use 12.5+L/100km around town. I knew the o2 sensor hadn't beeen replaced in at least 60,000km and the recommended change interval is 80,000km for a 4 wire sensor and 50,000km for the single wire..

The cheapest I could find a compatible 4-wire sensor in Australia (with the proper plug) was around $270 from SuziAuto. I think you can get one from the US for around $130 plus post. As it turns out NTK (NGK's sister co.) doesn't have a listing for the 4-wire. It is NOT the same 4-wire sensor as the one used in the J20 or V6 models either (it actually appears to be relatively common).

My local Repco did stock a generic (fuel miser brand) 3-wire sensor for around $130 also. It has a heater element (2-wires) and a single wire for the sensor element which relies on earth return. If I was to buy another I'd probably get one of these. These don't come with the correct plug.

I ended up getting an NTK single wire sensor off ebay for around $120 and crimped the wire into the loom. My research has determined the heater element is switched on by the ECU whenever the RPM are below 2000RPM regardless of any other factors, so a heater element sensor would probably be a better idea because my Vit does sit at idle for long peroids occasionally. The sensor must be in it's working temperature range to operate properly and won't stay hot enough at idle. The sensors with the heater elements also have a longer life.

If you are replacing yours, I'd suggest getting either a o2 sensor socket (socket with split down the side to reach over the cable) or do what I did and cut off the sensor with a hacksaw and get good quality 6-point socket over it. I bought a CrMo impact socket and CrMo 1/2" drive uni to do the job with about 900mm of leverage. Mine was siezed tight and a ring spanner only stripped out the sides of it! Heat might have helped though - I didn't try that. My later research suggested I should have run the engine to heat up the manifold first before trying to loosen it. The new sensor did come with anti-sieze on it.

Hope that helps.

Reubs

zuk94

February 16, 2014, 02:05:19 PM #1 Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 03:49:15 PM by zuk94
A couple of web sites :

http://www.o2sensors.com.au/search/application?makeID=42&modelID=1882&engineID=2225

This particular one even has a difference between type 2 and type 3 Vitara's which I guess is where they changed the Map sensors from the moving cone to the hot wire type which I have .  Shame because price varies from $106 [type 2 single wire]  to  $178  [Type 3 4 wire].
So I guessing it must matter which one you get .

http://www.suzistore.com.au/onlinestore/four-wheel-drives/vitara/vitara-se416-efi/electrical1652923049/SENSOR-OXYGEN-2702-detail.html

This one doesn'y tell you if its a 4 wire or single wire but I have sent them a email to clarify.

zuk94

February 16, 2014, 03:46:52 PM #2 Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 03:48:26 PM by zuk94
Dug up and old thread that has related info about O2 sensors .

http://nbs4x4club.com/forum/index.php?topic=11251.30

Bought a O2 sensor [ single wire incorrect ]  never installed :-[

Nissvit

a single wire one will work.

the other wires are earth and the heater wires respectively. The earth you can make with any piece of wire, and the heater is only there to bring the sensor up to temp quickly. But the ecu is smart enough to just use its basic map until the sensor starts to develop voltage. The single wire you have is probably better than the old four wire currently taking up space in your manifold...

zuk94

:Reubs says
QuoteMy research has determined the heater element is switched on by the ECU whenever the RPM are below 2000RPM regardless of any other factors, so a heater element sensor would probably be a better idea because my Vit does sit at idle for long peroids occasionally. The sensor must be in it's working temperature range to operate properly and won't stay hot enough at idle. The sensors with the heater elements also have a longer life.

I'll have to try the single wire I have but it would interesting to see the difference a 4 wire would make . Give this one ago [when I get around to it ] then try the 4 wire .

Nissvit

Quote from: zuk94 on February 16, 2014, 08:24:42 PM
:Reubs says
QuoteMy research has determined the heater element is switched on by the ECU whenever the RPM are below 2000RPM regardless of any other factors, so a heater element sensor would probably be a better idea because my Vit does sit at idle for long peroids occasionally. The sensor must be in it's working temperature range to operate properly and won't stay hot enough at idle. The sensors with the heater elements also have a longer life.

I'll have to try the single wire I have but it would interesting to see the difference a 4 wire would make . Give this one ago [when I get around to it ] then try the 4 wire .

My bet is F** all, at idle the 02 sensor is not used by the ecu to calculate mixtures in these things. Once the throttle position switch goes to the idle position the ecu drops to base settings.

when you EVENTUALLY get around to fitting the new oxy sensor, let me come over and drive it  ;).
You need to get the ECU to re-learn all the settings with the new sensor, so drive it hard for the first half hour. You will be amazed just how much difference it makes to the performance of the car... :armsup:

zuk94

How much time you got left at home . I'll bet you need something to fix by now and here's my |dea |dea |dea .
You drive over in the V8 and leave to keys in the letterbox .  Take my Vitara home , there will be a new air filter and the O2 sensor on the paasenger seat . You have it for a few days while I take Robin up to Mt . Cootha via Mt. Glorious for a romantic evening . We catch up after a  few days  and everybody will be  :pompoms: :pompoms:

Scrawny

You're too kind Pete!!

The 4 wire sensors have a heating element in them that brings the sensor up to temp quicker. This allows for faster/better control of emissions on cold start up

zuk94

So can I sum up then from what you and NissVit are saying , the heater doesn't affect the economy but rather emissions , which doesn't really affect us here but in countries where they have MOT testing yearly - certainly.
The 4th wire the ground to the ECU , is that purely for accurate voltage readings.

Nissvit

Quote from: zuk94 on February 18, 2014, 09:27:23 PM
So can I sum up then from what you and NissVit are saying , the heater doesn't affect the economy but rather emissions , which doesn't really affect us here but in countries where they have MOT testing yearly - certainly.
The 4th wire the ground to the ECU , is that purely for accurate voltage readings.

agreed.

Nissvit

Quote from: zuk94 on February 17, 2014, 11:31:04 PM
How much time you got left at home . I'll bet you need something to fix by now and here's my |dea |dea |dea .
You drive over in the V8 and leave to keys in the letterbox .  Take my Vitara home , there will be a new air filter and the O2 sensor on the paasenger seat . You have it for a few days while I take Robin up to Mt . Cootha via Mt. Glorious for a romantic evening . We catch up after a  few days  and everybody will be  :pompoms: :pompoms:

I've seen what you do to cars... there's no way I'm giving you a loving maintained piece of old German engineering to abuse... ::)

...plus image the mess you two would make on the sheepskin seat covers, I've heard the stories about your old v8 commodore... :P

zuk94

Put the single wire sensor in the car yesterday . So far so good the car didn't burn to the ground yet .
Will have to wait to see if any improvement .

As per Ruebs 's thread http://nbs4x4club.com/forum/index.php?topic=16565.0 I wired it the same .

Haven't tested the old one yet .

zuk94

No improvements in fuel economy yet . Does it take a while for the computer to register the change.

RobM

Quote from: zuk94 on April 04, 2014, 08:30:22 PM
No improvements in fuel economy yet . Does it take a while for the computer to register the change.

when I changed mine, I didn't notice any changes in economy...... :(
The Challenge.... To See as much of SEQ as I can on my Days Off....... To see my Exploring Trips, click on the following LINKS below:

My WikiLoc TRIPS: https://www.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/user.do?id=2717164
or
AllTrails: https://www.alltrails.com/members/robmacca/recordings

Reubs

I noticed a decent improvement in my economy from the next fill-up.

zuk94

Maybe we got a couple of duds or there was nothing wrong with the ones we took out.

Scrawny

The last tank I filled before selling mine I got 490kms from 45L. What are you getting from yours Pete?

zuk94

April 05, 2014, 08:09:47 AM #17 Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 08:11:39 AM by zuk94
400kms from  50litres
I do have 235/75 muddies on though compared to the 225/70 ATR's I us to run.

Bruce

Quote from: zuk94 on April 05, 2014, 08:09:47 AM
400kms from  50litres

LOL. Drove Casper into Glasshouse today. 60km and used 10lts  rofl rofl
Bruce.
Team Casper proudly sponsored by
Coliso and Me

Reubs

400kms from  50litres
I do have 235/75 muddies on though compared to the 225/70 ATR's I us to run.
On 215/75R15 MTs when driving locally and to/from work in peak hour I'm getting about 400km from about 42L or 10.5L/100km.

Scrawny

Quote from: Bruce on April 05, 2014, 04:43:42 PM
400kms from  50litres

LOL. Drove Casper into Glasshouse today. 60km and used 10lts  rofl rofl

My new Cruiser so far has done 555kms off the main tank -90L?  :-[

zuk94

Time for a new O2 sensor again , so the single wire one I purchased lasted just over 3 years .